April 20, 2005
I. Call to Order: Tom Jensen, Chair
II. Approval of agenda
III. Approval of minutes:
B. Faculty Senate Chair
C. Academic Standards Committee (Grade Forgiveness Policy) – Dr. John Delery
D. Calendar Committee – Dr. Joel Freund
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
A. Proposed Calendar Changes (Joel Freund)
1. Change in the scheduling of Spring Break 2006
2. Changing the starting time of MWF classes
B. Attendance Policy revision (Joel Freund)
C. Proposed change to Academic Policy Series 1505.30 Honorary Degrees:
A student pursuing a law degree at the time of death will be awarded the Juris Doctor degree Posthumous honoris causa, when given an honorary posthumous degree.
D. Consent Agenda
1. Course change proposals pending approval by the University Course and Programs Committee and the Graduate Council (where appropriate). Approval by the Faculty Senate will be contingent on approval by those two bodies.
a. Undergraduate Courses (Table A)
b. Graduate Courses (Table B)
c. Dual Enrollment Courses (Table C)
2. Undergraduate program proposal, Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences:
Table 1 (Attachments 1A, 1B), pending approval by the University Course and Programs Committee. Approval by the Faculty Senate will be contingent on approval by the UCPC.
Tables 1 and 2
Attachments 1A, 1B
3. Program change proposals for graduate programs:
Table 2 (Attachments 2A-2H). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 3/18/05 and/or the Graduate Council on 3/17/05.
Attachments 2A - 2H
2A - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2a42005.pdf
2B - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2b42005.pdf
2C - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2c42005.pdf
2D - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2d42005.pdf
2E - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2e42005.pdf
2F - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2f42005.pdf
2G - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2g42005.pdf
2H - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attach2h42005.pdf
4. Proposed policy change:
On 3/17/05, the Graduate Council unanimously approved a proposal to change the minimum admissions requirement for the Graduate School from either a 2.70 (on a four-point scale) for the baccalaureate degree or 3.20 on the last 60 hours of the baccalaureate degree to a flat 3.00 (on a four point scale) on the last 60 hours of the baccalaureate degree, with corresponding changes to be made in the admission of international students and students admitted under conditions. This will be effective for admission to the Graduate School beginning Fall 2006.
A. Campus Faculty Meeting, April 19, 3:30 pm in the Reynold’s Center.
1. Dr. James Watson, Nobel Laureate, Wednesday, May 4, 8:00 pm, Arkansas Union Ballroom
“My Life with DNA”
2. Robert Redford, Thursday, May 5, 8:00 pm, Barnhill Arena
C. In Memoriam
1. John L. Imhoff
2. Marjorie Rudolph
3. Elaine McNeil - There will be a memorial service, Sunday, April 24,2005 at 2:00 pm at the Unitarian-Universalist Church for Professor McNeil.