of the Faculty Senate Meeting
Officers: Jensen, Riggs, Jones, Rogers, Thomas, Brady
Senators (elected): Allison, Comfort, Cornell, Deaton, Dennis, Di Brezzo, Freund, Gay, Gordon, Hanlin, Hall, Hughes, James, Killenbeck, King, Kopp, Kral, Martin, McGee, Miller, Murphy, Popp, Riha, Rom, Rupe, Ryan, Salisbury, Wailes, Waller, Watkins
Senators (admin): Geren, Smith, Shannon, Williams
Senators (elected): Cantrell, Curington, Denny, Elliot, Evans, Farley, Haydar, Lawson, Matlock, Rosenkrans, Sears, Webb, Wilson, Zajicek
Senators (admin): Allen, Atkinson, Bobbitt, Dutton, Greenwood, Saxena, White, Weidmann
I. Call to Order: Tom Jensen, Faculty Senate Chair
Tom Jensen called the meeting to order at 3:32.
II. Approval of Agenda
The following items were amended to the agenda after the final agenda was announced to the faculty:
1) CSCE 5173, Entrepreneurism/eCommerce, was pulled from Old Business.
2) A memorial for Dr. Allen P. McCartney was added to the Announcements section of the agenda.
The agenda was accepted by unanimous consent as amended.
III. Approval of Minutes: April 28, 2004
The minutes of April 28, 2004 were approved.
A. Provost's Report
The Provost reported on the following:
- 2010 Commission - A new report titled "Gaining Ground" is due to come out in January 2005.
- Honors College Dean Candidates - Four new candidates are actively interviewing on campus during the months of September and October. If faculty have an opportunity to attend their presentations, the Provost asks that each send in an evaluation form available on line to help in the decision making process. http://honorscollege.uark.edu/deansevaluations.htm
- Integrated Scholar: Once More Once - The Provost commented on many notable faculty on campus who work effectively with teaching, research and service.
- Academic Staff Papers - Highlights some of the expectations of key academic staff. This gives people an idea of what he is thinking of when evaluating Deans, Chairs, and other administrative positions.
B. Faculty Senate Chair’s Report
The Faculty Senate Chair reported on the following:
- The Chair participated in a campus safety walk and helped UAPD to identify some problematic areas on campus. The faculty are also encouraged to conduct such walks in their areas to identify any problems that could make the campus unsafe for faculty, staff and students.
- Tom thanked all members for serving on the Faculty senate. 164 faculty now serve on Faculty Senate committees, 45 serve on Campus Council committees, and 118 serve on Administrative Committees. He also commended the Committee on Committees and its members - Professors Ahrendsen, Mayes, Kral, DeNoble, Schmitt, Dye, Brummer, Gay for their hard work. He also thanked Professor Deb Thomas for her work with this committee.
- Tom has sent out the following charges:
- The Financial Advisory Committee - They have been asked to examine and make recommendations relevant to faculty and administrative salaries. They are to report back in February.
- The Library Committee - They have been asked to address students' access to the library when they are not enrolled or when enrolled at a distance.
C) Task Force on Faculty Governance
This report was given by Charles Riggs. The Task Force was charged with reviewing campus governance documents. They were asked to make recommendations concerning the manner in which committees and governance were operating on campus. The report is presented below.
Final Report - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/govtaskforcereport.pdf
V. Old Business
VI. New Business
1. Faculty Senate Executive Committee
The following senators were elected to serve on the Faculty Senate Executive Committee:
Neil Allison, John King, Cheryl Murphy, David E. Gay, Timothy Kral
2. Senate Representatives to the Campus Council
The following senators were elected to serve on the Campus Council:
John Rupe, John King, Derek Sears, Joel Freund, Todd Hanlin, Michael Riha, Charles Rosenkrans, Roy Farley, Norm Dennis, Mark Killenbeck, George Denny, David E. Gay, Timothy Kral, Terry Martin, Luti Salisbury, Curt Rom
B. Motion from the Faculty Senate Executive Committee to add Men’s and Women’s Athletics Directors to the Faculty Senate as ex officio, non-voting members.
Discussion took place. This will be voted on during the October Faculty Senate meeting.
C. Consent Agenda
Matters from University Course and Programs Committee and the Graduate Council
1. Course change proposals:
a. Undergraduate Course change proposals (Table A): Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 8/27/04.
Table A - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/tablea091504.pdf
2. Program change proposals in the Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences, Undergraduate Programs: Table B (Attachments B1-B9). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 8/27/04.
Table B - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/tableb091504.pdf
Attachment B1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb1091504.pdf
Attachment B2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb2091504.pdf
Attachment B3 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb3091504.pdf
Attachment B4 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb4091504.pdf
Attachment B5 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb5091504.pdf
Attachment B6 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb6091504.pdf
Attachment B7 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb7091504.pdf
Attachment B8 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb8091504.pdf
Attachment B9 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachb9091504.pdf
3. Program change proposals in the College of Education and Health Professions, Undergraduate Program: Table C (Attachment C1). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 8/27/04.
Table C - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/tablec091504.pdf
Attachment C1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachc1091504.pdf
4. Proposed program deletion in the College of Education and Health Professions, Undergraduate Program: Deletion of the BSE degree in Special Education (Table C, Attachment C2). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 8/27/04.
(See Table C above)
Attachment C2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachc2091504.pdf
5. Program change proposal in the College of Engineering, Undergraduate Program (Table D, Attachment D1). Approved by the University Course and Programs Committee on 8/27/04.
Table D - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/tabled091504.pdf
Attachment D1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attachd191504.pdf
6. Program change proposals for graduate programs: Table E (Attachments E1-E2). Approved by the Graduate Council on 5/20/04 and 8/19/04.
Table E - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/tablee091504.pdf
Attachment E1 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attache1091504.pdf
Attachment E2 - http://www.uark.edu/depts/facsen/facsen2004to2005/attache2091504.pdf
All items approved by unanimous consent.
A. Resolution recognizing Fay Jones
Presented by Dean Jeff Shannon. Motion to approve resolution passed.
B. A memorial recognizing Allen McCartney
Presented by Dr. Marvin Kay. A memorial recognizing Dr. McCartney will take place October 9, 1:00 p.m. in Giffels Auditorium. Any memorials you may have can be sent to the Department of Anthropology to be included in a memory book being prepared for the family.
C. Professors Thomas and Jensen will attend the upcoming Board of Trustees meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:25 p.m.