Spring International Language Center at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, has IMMEDIATE OPENINGS for full-time faculty positions. Applications will continue to be accepted until these positions are filled.
Qualifications, job description, benefits, and environment are detailed below. If you feel that you meet our requirements and would like to make an application, please follow the application procedure enumerated at the bottom of this page.
FULL-TIME FACULTY QUALIFICATIONS AND POSITION DESCRIPTION
• Strong academic preparation: MA TESL, applied linguistics, or related field
• Knowledge of grammar, reading, writing, and listening/speaking teaching strategies
and methods (ability to give clear grammar explanations)
• A minimum of two years teaching experience for full-time permanent positions,
preferably in an intensive academic preparation program. Interns may have less experience
• Cross-cultural sensitivity
• Strong classroom management skills, organizational and planning skills, ability to
give clear, concise directions and explanations
• High level of English proficiency: good command of written and spoken English
• Proficiency in a second language preferred
• Professional involvement (TESOL, affiliate TESOL's, etc.)
• Good interpersonal/communication skills
• Excellent computer skills and CALL experience
• 20 hours teaching per week in an Intensive English Program (IEP and ESL support
courses for matriculated international students
• Responsibility for curriculum and materials development associated with courses taught
as well as input into overall program curricula
• Attendance at staff development and in-service training meetings
• Attendance at all faculty meetings
• Attendance at receptions and culminating activities
• Textbook evaluation
• Submission of syllabi for courses taught; grades, student comments, and attendance
• Attendance on field trips as necessary, but not exceeding one per term
• Office hours for student advising and counseling as necessary
• Committee work
Salary and Benefits:
• Insurance: Health (50% SILC/50% Employee), Dental option
• Paid Vacation (seven weeks + national holidays)
• Sick leave
• Social Security and Unemployment Insurance
• 401K Retirement/Savings Plan
• Professional development funding
• Sabbatical leaves
• Starting salary commensurate with IEP experience
Fayetteville is a delightful college town located in the heart of the Ozark mountains. It has a temperate climate with four distinct seasons. The cost of living is moderate and the current sustained growth of the region allows for many comforts and conveniences of a much larger city without the crime, traffic or pollution. Arts, music and theater are abundant in the area. The recently opened Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art offers a world-class museum and extensive nature trails for walking and biking. The great natural beauty of the area makes Fayetteville an ideal place for enjoying the outdoors. A network of ever-expanding bicycle trails crisscross the city as the area grows to become more bicycle-friendly.
The University of Arkansas is a mid-size comprehensive university with approximately 25,000 students, including 1240 international students from 121 countries pursuing both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Our IEP has a diverse population of 220 students from an average of 38 countries at any given term, and we are expecting to experience a 20%-45% growth.
Spring International faculty teach a highly rigorous intensive English for academic purposes curriculum for those international students preparing to enter the University of Arkansas or other higher education institutions of their choice. Students may enter the University of Arkansas upon completion of the IEP's advanced levels in lieu of taking the TOEFL or IELTS exam. The IEP is host to a variety of Fulbright Scholars, International Ford Fellows, and other sponsored students from a myriad of countries. Spring International is also home to numerous teacher training and grant programs. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
JOB APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Applicants who meet the qualifications listed above should send us the following:
1. Cover letter
3. Graduate school transcripts
4. Three letters of reference with email and contact information for each
5. For overseas applicants only: Submit a video clip, CD or DVD of applicant teaching an EFL class.
Applicants may submit these materials electronically to email@example.com or send them to the address provided at the bottom of this page. Faxed or scanned documents will be accepted. Letters of reference may come under separate cover.
Preliminary interviews are held by telephone, with subsequent fly-in interviews for the best candidates. Spring International Language Center is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applications sent via post should be addressed to:
Spring International Language Center
1 University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701
Tel (479) 575-7600
Fax (479) 575-7673
Spring International Language Center (SILC) at the University of Arkansas is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) and continues to uphold the highest standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation is recognized by the United States Department of Education. SILC is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.