OXFORD READINGS IN GREEK RELIGION.
Students will give reports from their choice of chapters.
Please inform Professor Levine by March 21 which chapter you choose for your report.
THURSDAY, February 28
1. What is Polis Religion? (Christiane Sourvinou-Inwood) CARRIE DOBBS
2 Further Aspects of Polis Religion (Christiane Sourvinou-Inwood) JOSHUA COOK
3. Tribes, Festivals, and Processions: Civic Ceremonial and Political Manipulation in Archaic Greece (W. R. Connor) JENAY CLARK
TUESDAY, March 5
4. Greek States and Greek Oracles (Robert Parker) MICAH GOULD
5. From Oedipus to Periander: Lameness, Tyranny, Incest, in Legend and History (J.-P. Vernant) ANGELA ROBEY
6. Demeter in the Ancient Greek City and its Countryside (Susan Guettel Cole) JACKIE MAHAFFEY
THURSDAY, March 7
7. Greek Sanctuaries as Places of Refuge (Ulrich Sinn) APRIL KERSTEN
8. The Archaeology of the Hero (Anthony Snodgrass) MICHAEL BARNES
9. Votives and Votaries in Greek Sanctuaries (Folkert Van Straten) RACHEL BUSHKUHL
TUESDAY, March 12
10. Jason, Hypsipyle, and New Fire at Lemnos: A Study in Myth and Ritual (Walter Burkert) JOSHUA COOK
11. The Locrian Maidens (Fritz Graf) MARA DABRISHUS
12. Scapegoat Rituals in Ancient Greece (Jan. N. Bremmer) DAVE DEWBERRY
THURSDAY, March 14
Professor Levine is sick. Class cancelled. Reports postponed one class period.
TUESDAY, March 26
13. Women and Sacrifice in Classical Greece (Robin Osborne) LEIGH FETNER
14. Greek Magic, Greek Religion (Robert L. Fowler) CARL BURGERS
15. Misconceptualizing Classical Mythology (C. Robert Phillips, III) JOE RATNER
Return to Main Page: CLST 4003H. Honors Colloquium in Greek Religion. Sp. 2002.